Den offisielle Halo 3-tråden [X360]

D

Deleted member 1518

Gjest
Forskjell på multiplayer og singelplayer ;) Men ja Halo 2 singelplayer sugde i forhold til Halo 1 singelplayer.

Ny lørdag, ny ukentlig oppdatering hos Bungie. Denne gangen handler det kun om grafikk, Frankie innrømmer faktisk selv at han er en grafikkhore. :p

Opprinnelig skrevet av Bungie.net
Sketch has missed all the fun this week. Including some more short-lived programmer art - how about flying hearts that float skyward every time you step on a non-final texture? That's what I watched as I wandered into an otherwise gloomy ravine. Big, red hearts that animated and flapped skyward with almost every step. Sort of ruined the oppressive atmosphere the level designer was going for.

I also played around in the suddenly populated and encounter-filled version of a previously empty indoor environment. I ran around with a flashlight enjoying the bump-mapped textures, and then nearly filled my diaper when a Grunt popped out of nowhere and started shooting at me. I wasn't really expecting much resistance while trawling for pretty graphics. I was also admiring some cracked pavement on an outdoor level, just to let you know what a huge graphics whore I am. But it really is lovely. Tarmac is all normal, and then slowly gives away to cracked, then rumpled and then ends as it empties over a gulf. I wandered around, spinning the camera to see how the bright daylight affected the bump effect. 100% convincing.

Ha-ha. Joe Staten just dropped in a weapon that I pray will be included in the final game, but knowing my luck, won't. Right now, they're testing it for feasibility rather than balance. Joe insists on using it in the debug third person mode, because it's funnier. Of course, now it's annoying because he's running around the level destroying everything with it and he won't go to the next mission trigger. JOE! Move it.

He's worse than one of those people who won't run down to the water's edge in a video game with cool water. I have a theory about folks who make gameplay look bad by doing boring stuff instead of cool stuff when they first pick up a joypad. But it's mean, so I won't share it.

Actually, I have no idea what our final water is going to look like - the stuff that is in there, while pretty, is only placeholder. My favorite video game waters to date are:
  • Tomb Raider on 360 - the rivers are amazing
  • Warhawk PS3 video - Nice big waves with good spume.
  • The icy underground pool in DOA3 on Xbox - it looks COLD.
Don't underestimate how important game water is. It is the single most important thing in video gaming. Above fun, above replay value, above depth. Water!!!!!

No movie news this week - to explain, I should point out that the movie is certainly a Bungie project, but our partners, Universal and Microsoft, have to approve everything we mention. Since it's hard to coordinate that approval sometimes, we occasionally seem more bewildered than we actually are. Anyhoo, we will have movie news soon, I'm sure.

ja..

Dagens oppdatering hos Bungie har en del interessant informasjon, spesielt angående multiplayerdelen.

Of course we've been playing plenty of Halo 3 too. I am downloading debug builds of the game daily. Currently it's split into multiplayer and single player builds, so I have to get both. This is how the development process worked during Halo 2 - it meant that the multiplayer build could be grabbed quickly (it's obviously a much smaller file than the entire campaign) and tested independently.

Our debug kits have enormous hard drives, so we can store several builds at once - which is handy, since a feature that may be working on one build, might well be disabled on another. For example, you may download a fully lit, massively populated, adventure filled Campaign level on Monday, but the version you get on Wednesday has all the encounters removed because they're doing some performance testing.

Lars, one of our multiplayer designers, told me to go get the latest version of one of our new maps, because some significant changes had been made. He's right, and they're the kind of changes that will make the hardcore objective game players from Halo 2, have a small but pleasant heart attack.

Lars is my carpool buddy, so we often talk about stuff on the way home. Like the Kirkland Cougars. We talk about them a lot. Last night though, we were talking about the properties we apply to "special" players in the game - Flag Carriers, Juggernauts etc. The trick is making it fun to be the special player. Nobody would want to be the flag carrier, for example, if there wasn't the opportunity to cap the flag and get the point. Otherwise you're just a slow, powerless jerk.

Getting extra health seems like it would be enjoyable for the player who can't shoot, or is moving slowly, but not if that simply guarantees a slow, protracted, meaningless death as the enemy slowly eats away at your energy shield. That is actually worse than having normal health and weapons. To take the bullet, as it were, there has to be a reward for the "special" player - be it an ability or some kind of glory.

Naturally we were having this conversation in the context of how it affects one of the new multiplayer modes. Lars had some interesting solutions that hopefully I'll get to try out in the coming days.

Polish is starting to happen to some of the MP maps, and a couple of them look totally finished, but I found a brand new map the other day - I'd seen the map name in the selectable map list before, but it had always been "empty" until now. In I popped and found a medium sized, building-filled complex that should appeal to fans of Turf. We played some King of the Hill in it and I had a blast. In fact, it was immediately "natural" feeling and I was able to navigate around it after about two minutes. There's another level in the game, about the same size, that I ALWAYS get confused in. Actually, same thing still happens to me in one of the canyons on Burial Mounds. I just get turned around. I need a compass!
I tillegg ble det også nevnt fra Peter Jackson at innspillingen av Halo filmen sannsynligvis vil begynne tidlig neste år. Les intervjuet med han her.

Releasedatoen er også klar. :p

Bra lesestoff. :D

Men skulle ikke Peter Jackson begynne på The Hobbit og en gang etter LoTR? Eller er jeg helt på villspor nå..?

SHDR

Gullmedlem
Nei, det var det han ikke ville. Han er ikke involvert med den i det hele tatt. Det eneste som er klart, er at Ian McKellan eier rettighetene til den. Med mindre det bare var et rykte, da. Og det er det gjerne.

Hva faen er det han duden som skriver oppdateringene til Bungie er for noe? Community co-ordinator? Er jobben hans å drip-feede informasjon til fans? Er det jobben hans å skrive umorsomme negerinnlegg om hvor tøff han er som får spille builds av Halo 3 før noen andre?

Jeg fylles av rettferdig harme. En eller annen rullestolbruker kunne hatt den jobben og gjort den bedre.

Ny lørdag betyr ny oppdatering hos Bungie. Ukens høydepunkt for min del. ^_^

Denne ukens informasjon om Halo 3:

This is so lame that I'm embarrassed to even tell you, but I just got a look at one of the sample ground textures we're using for a new multiplayer map. To this point, the multiplayer maps have had a mixture of real and fake placeholder textures - many of them simple dirt or grass or rock from Halo 2 - and of course all of those placeholders will be replaced with brand new, high resolution hypertextures (not a technical term). The texture set (I suppose it's technically several different textures applied to a large area) consisted of photo realistic flattened boulders in long, but windadswept grass. Residents of Scotland will be familiar with that kind of Igneous Schist, yeah, I said it and I'll say it again. Igneous Schist.

The texture was sweet, but I subsequently found out that it's being applied to one of my favorite new levels. So I'll take the high road and you'll take the low road and I'll get the sniper before ye. I also just watched a senior Bungie team member whine about how the Banshee was "cheap" in a multiplayer game, then get the Banshee and say that the Banshee is "awesome." Funny how that works...

But that's multiplayer. Single player is coming along swimmingly, with lots more levels for me to play around with and lots of new lighting applied to previously unlit (or at least generically lightmapped) spaces.
Følgende ble nevnt om Halo filmen:

No movie news. Hollywood is like, lock down embargo town. WE know a ton of stuff, but we're not allowed to tell you. But the stuff we know is very, very exciting. I totally want to dish, but I will get spanked if I do.
I tillegg får vi se coveret fra en ny Halo novel, "Ghosts of Onyx". Frontcoveret er endelig, mens baksiden er midlertidig:

Nytt intervju med Peter Jackson om den kommende Halo filmen:

Opprinnelig skrevet av AintItCool

QUINT: Of the movies you're producing that are not your own, you seem to be bringing in first time feature directors. Both with HALO and DAMBUSTERS. Is that just coincidence?

PETER JACKSON: It's not deliberate and certainly for HALO it wasn't deliberate. I don't think even for a show like HALO, which is a big budget production, I don't think there's any problem whatsoever with a so-called first time director directing it. At the end of the day, Neill (Blomkamp) is not a first time director. He's a first time feature film director, but he understands film and grammar as good as anybody. He's done some wonderful short films and commercials. His visual eye is fantastic and his storytelling is great. The fact that it's a feature film just means that he gets to shoot for longer than he did in the short film. There really isn't anything else that's different.

We certainly didn't set out with HALO to find a first time filmmaker to do HALO. We wanted somebody on HALO that would have 3 qualities. One, a very important one, is that they wanted to do it really badly. They had to be absolute HALO fans. That was important because there are a lot of people who would be happy to do HALO for the paycheck, there's a lot of people who would be happy to do it for the publicity they're going to get from it and the kick it'll give to their career and all that and all of that sort of stuff. There's lots of reasons to do HALO that would be attractive if you're not a HALO fan, but we didn't want any of those people, we wanted somebody who was a real HALO fan.

Secondly, and this is sort of just as important, we wanted somebody who was going to bring a unique vision to it. It's so easy to shut your eyes and imagine a really bad version of HALO. That comes to you in a frightenly simple, quick way. You think, "Oh, my God! This could be so terrible!" I guess it's because so many other video game movies have been terrible and so much other sci-fi in that type of genre has been terrible.

It's like Fantasy was before LORD OF THE RINGS. Everybody was saying, "These films aren't any good." In a sense, everybody's saying "You can't make a good film out of a game." Well, that's all crap. Good films just need good characters, good storyline and a great director to bring it to life and make a film that you've never seen before. That's what it needs. It doesn't matter a damn whether it's based on a game, a book or a piece of chewing gum, you know? That's irrelevant. It's what actually ends up on the screen that's important.

So, we wanted a director who we would get excited about their version of HALO. We wanted somebody that would make us say, "God, I'd love to see what this person would do with this story, with this material." We considered a lot of directors. A lot of directors came to us. I mean, believe me... we waited for months and months and months. We eschewed a couple of people which didn't work out. We've had lots and lots of people approaching us, obviously agents and people saying "So and so client would love to do it."

At all times they were people that we thought, "Well... their version of HALO doesn't really excite me all that much. I could imagine what it'd be like and it doesn't really (excite me)." But then when Neill came along and we saw what he'd done and we'd spoken to him... believe me, he's doing something that is very, very different from what people are imagining, from what people have seen before. Some of the visuals... He's been working with Weta pretty much full time for, I guess it'd be about 2 months now, turning out lots and lots of art every day. And maquettes, production design, color art has been coming out of there. I've got folders and folders of it at home here. It's fantastic stuff. I mean, I look through it and I get excited about the film.

We're still developing a script and we've still got work to go on the script and that's underway, but while that's happening Neill is just producing his vision of this world. It is original and new and has not been seen before on the screen. It's not Ridley Scott, it's not James Cameron, it's not what we've seen before, but it's something new and fresh and it's cool. That was important to us. Someone who was going to not go the cliched way, but go in the direction that they had an original vision for and Neill has got that in spades. We're feeling really, really good.

QUINT: Let's talk a little bit about the script for HALO. Alex Garland's Microsoft draft wasn't very strong and I know after I read it I was worried, as a fan of HALO.

PETER JACKSON: Since Alex's draft, there have been another two that have been written. Pretty much page one revisions to get to where we are today. It's getting much better along now and there are certainly a lot of things in it now that are working well. There are things that aren't working well in it yet, but Fran, Philippa and I are not writing the script, but, in a sense, one of the things we're contributing with our involvement in the project is being the police, the script cops! So, nothing is going to end up on the screen that doesn't get our stamp of approval. We're going to be pretty tough with the script. We're not going to spare people's feelings.

We're not writing it and we're trying to be as constructive as we can and we're trying to give criticism and suggest ways in which we think things should be improved. That process is going along okay and we're getting there. The movie, as far as I'm concerned, as far as my involvement is concerned, is not going to go in front of the cameras until we have a really great script.

In the meantime Neill's fully occupied designing everything that needs to be designed. The whole world has to be designed and the whole world has to be built. There's nothing that's going to be hired out of a prop store, you know? And like LORD OF THE RINGS and KONG, it's one of those great (positions). We have time to work on the script because all the work that has to happen... we know what's going to be in the movie. We know that there's going to be the Covenant, we know that there's going to be Warthogs and there's going to be Ghosts (QUINT NOTE: Covenant ships, not spooks for you HALO virgins) and Scorpion (Tanks)'s and there's going to be the Pillar of Autumn. We know a huge amount.

We obviously know a lot of the world of HALO that the story's going to take part in. So, there's a lot of very productive work that's underway at the moment while the script takes whatever (amount of time). As far as I'm concerned it should take as long as it needs to take until it's a good script. We are slowly tugging away at it, getting it there.

QUINT: Now, there's no reason on Earth shouldn't easily and faithfully be adapted into a PG-13 movie. However, do you anticipate there being a harder cut considering how gruesome the Flood aspect of the story is?

PETER JACKSON: That's interesting... It's something, I must admit, that's not a conversation I've had with anybody yet. It's a conversation that I'm sure will happen. Look, the reality of the budget is that I would imagine the studio are going to be pretty insistent on a PG-13, which, as you say, is certainly not an impossible thing pull off. The concept of a hard R rating for DVD is kind of fun because that does ultimately deliver a film that the hardcore fans would enjoy and that's certainly something we should discuss. But honestly it's a conversation that hasn't actually happened yet.

But the designs for The Flood that I've been seeing are incredibly hardcore, I have to say. The wonderful thing of using the world of CG now and that real, Lovecraftian kind of twisted... That stuff lends itself to computer generated effects so well, the organic, pulsating, throbbing, oozing kind of effect looks great. I had a bit of fun with that on KONG with those sort of bug things and those insects and wormy things that kill Andy Serkis. I can see that tying all that CG technology to some Lovecraftian horror is going to be awesome.

But yeah. Look, I think it's a great idea. I think it's something we should definitely talk about. I mean, those conversations haven't happened yet since we haven't really got a script that we think is the script we're going to make yet, so I guess once we have a script the question of rating will come up. I think as long as the studio gets a PG-13 to release theatrically, I'd imagine they'd actually be supportive and certainly we can talk to them about supporting the idea of (a harder cut for DVD). I think Neill would be into it.
Mye god informasjon. Forventningene mine til filmen er rimlig høye, og de ble ikke akkurat mindre av å lese dette. Snarere tvert imot.

Kilde

Dagens oppdatering hos Bungie har en del spennende saker. For det første, inneholder den Bungies aller første podcast! Blant annet bekrefter de i den at Halo 3 vil dukke opp i en eller annen form på X06, og vi får også høre lydeffekter fra spillet i podcasten.

Og the final logo:

:elsk:

Har en følelse på at X06 virkelig blir bra.

Bungie har akkurat gjort et intervju med Loius Wu, mannen bak http://halo.bungie.org/

Leg merke til denne interessante kommentaren:

Opprinnelig skrevet av Bungie
KP: Say you had an opportunity to bring back one feature from Halo 1 that Halo 2 either lacked or changed. What would you choose?

LW: Hmm. The last time I was asked that, Halo 2 had just come out. I said 'fall damage'. Now that I've played Halo 2 almost exclusively for a couple of years (with respect to Halo titles), I'm sort of happy it doesn't HAVE fall damage any more. Hmm... I guess I'd have to say the ability to explore more in Campaign. The biggest weakness I see in Halo 2, looking back, is the linearity of the single-player game.

KP: If it makes you feel better, Halo 3's all about the wide open areas and masses of enemies.
Resten av intervjuet ligger her.

D

Deleted member 91

Gjest
Hallo? Er dette nytt for noen? Bungie har jo nevnt det opptil flere ganger i oppdateringene sine at alt kommer til å bli større og åpnere denne gangen, med miljøer mer som i Halo 1 enn i oppfølger'n.

Halo var vel åpent, men det var ikke massevis av fiender som kom. Eneste banene jeg kommer på er Halo og Truth And Reconsiliation, vet jeg skrev sistenevnte feil. Husker godt Halo-banen på Legendary co-op, vi hadde en tøff jobb med å forsvare festningen. Men faen så kult det var.

D

Deleted member 91

Gjest
Kanskje jeg bare jeg som tar det for gitt at det blir flere fiender og større brett i H3, altså. Hei, Revan, tror du kanskje grafikken blir bedre også eller?